Friday, September 14, 2012

Why So Thin Skinned?

Why So Thin Skinned?

Tibor R. Machan

I really don’t get why so many Muslims are so thin skinned.  Nearly everyone has experienced ridicule, verbal abuse, what have you, yet in my experience hardly anyone who has strikes out at the abusive people with violence and brutality.  

My own viewpoints on innumerable topics have been put down both verbally, to my face, and in print--as a columnist in several newspapers, magazines and on numerous Websites I have received insults galore--yet it would never occur to me to burn down the critics’ homes or automobiles or such.  I have lived all around the Western World and in hardly any country is it deemed right and proper to react to verbal or written criticism, or even abuse and ridicule, in any other way but peacefully!  

Ordinarily I uphold the idea that people are people, first and foremost--capable of rationality and civility--and are due, in turn, civilized treatment but with all this barbarian conduct in the Middle East and elsewhere I am beginning to suspect that some of these people are seriously afflicted with mental aberrations. Maybe entire cultures suffer from such afflictions.  I don’t know but it makes sense to me.   

1 comment:

Tibor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.